|Original developer(s)||Ludvig Strigeus (ludde), Vincent Hamm (Co-founder. 'yaz0r'.) ScummVM Team|
|Current developer(s)||Eugene Sandulenko (sev), Arnaud Boutonné (Strangerke), ScummVM Team|
|Emulates||SCUMM Engine and many more game engines|
ScummVM is a open-source set of game engine recreations. It's focused on adventure games and RPGs and supports over 250 games (over 1800 if you count text adventures), making it the biggest project of its kind.
Official releases (all systems)
Nightly and Stable Builds (all systems)
Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion Virtual Machine (ScummVM) first released october 8, 2001. It was originally designed to play LucasArts adventure games that use the SCUMM system, since then a lot of adventures games from other companies has been added. Lately they have also started allowing game engines for RPGs. As of october 9, 2020 they merged the 3d adventure game focused sister project ResidualVM into ScummVM, thereby making game engines for both adventure games and RPGs allowed in the project, whether they are 2D or 3D, point-and-click or not. Over 250 games are currently supported including games from Sierra's AGI and SCI games, Humongous Entertainment, Adventuresoft, and many others.
ScummVM works by replacing or modifying certain game executables, allowing the user to play on originally unintended/modern hardware. Compared to regular emulation this makes the hardware requirements very modest, you can basically run older ScummVM games on a toaster.
ScummVM is released with the free software GNU GPLv2 license and has been ported to a wide variety of devices and operating systems.
Here's a few examples of games supported. For a more complete list, check out ScummVM's compatiblity page. ScummVM often supports multiple versions of the same game, for example PC and console versions.
- 2D point-and-click adventure - Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max, Blade Runner, Simon the Sorcerer, Broken Sword, King's Quest, The Neverhood, Indiana Jones, and many more from companies such as; LucasArts, Sierra, Adventure Soft, Humongous Entertainment, Revolution, etc.
- 3D point-and-click adventure - Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island, The Longest Journey
- Text adventure - Colossal Cave Adventure (the first known work of interactive fiction and the first text adventure game) and about 1600 more.
- Adventure - Myst series
- RPGs - Ultima 4, 6, 8. Might and Magic 4 & 5.
These are some of the features that ScummVM has over the orginal games.
- Ported to lots of systems
- Fan translations
- Graphic filters
- Better performance
- MT-32 emulation
- Cloud storage and save game sync
- Discord Rich Presence