PlayStation Network (PSN) is the online service used by PlayStation consoles starting from PS3. During the development stage for the PlayStation 3, Sony expressed their intent to build upon the functionality of its predecessor by creating a new interconnected service that keeps users constantly in touch with a "PlayStation World" network. In March 2006, Sony officially introduced its unified online service, tentatively named "PlayStation Network Platform". A list of supporting features was announced at the Tokyo Game Show later the same year.
- Netplay in RPCS3 was introduced by GalCiv, who developed RPCN (an open-source server that emulates the P2P match-making done on the PlayStation 3). RPCN can also be used to communicate with private servers for games that require a dedicated server for multiplayer features. In this regard, games that require a custom server will not work unless a fan-made, private server is created. This is outside the scope of the emulator and will have to be developed by the community. RPCS3's 2024 updates introduced a friend and invite system in its QT interface. This allows you to invite or join friends for online sessions in supported titles. It's important to note that this feature replicates the original functionality and is separate from the XMB interface's friend system and the PlayStation Network (PSN) service.
- There are separate dedicated projects called "PSORG Revival" and "clank" to restoring PlayStation first, and Sony Medius servers-based titles/third party original online functionality for gaming history preservation and education purposes.
- RPCN compatibility list, RPCN compatibility list #2
- Private/Custom servers for PlayStation 3 and RPCS3 RPCN (Also you can use some of the RPCS3 patches like Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway OpenSpy Online to connect private servers)
- For more information about other revive projects see Preservation projects page.
|Online Service, Virtual World
PlayStation Home was a virtual 3D social gaming platform developed by Sony Computer Entertainment's London Studio for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) on the PlayStation Network (PSN). It was accessible from the PS3's XrossMediaBar (XMB).1
- There is a project called Destination Home; a preservation team dedicated to restoring PlayStation Home's original online functionality and network services, but progress is heavily reliant on the development of RPCN; as key networking functionality is yet to be implemented.
There is no preservation project for emulating PSN private platform server service for PlayStation 4 at the moment, or any kind of implementation on the emulator side to connect official servers.
There is no preservation project for emulating PSN private platform server service for PlayStation 5 at the moment, or any kind of implementation on the emulator side to connect official servers.
- PlayStation 3
- Previous PlayStation consoles
- Online PS2 games
- How To Play PCSX2 Online
- PlayStation 2 emulators#LAN tunelling (LAN tunneling compatible PlayStation 2 emulators)
- Early Online Services