|Developer(s)||Henrik "hrydgard" Rydgård, uknownbrackets, raven02, xsacha, thedax|
PPSSPP is a PlayStation Portable emulator written in C++ with the aim of speed and portability. Its development is ongoing and is still in an beta state, but progress is fast and most games are already playable.
PPSSPP is an acronym for "PlayStation Portable Simulator Suitable for Playing Portably".
Since its release in 2012, the emulator is currently capable of playing around than 1000 games, more than 90% of the PSP Library. It is very active, and gets updated frequently. It's also significantly faster than JPCSP due to it being coded in C++ instead of Java. It is only recommended to use JPCSP if the game does not work in PPSSPP. It is worth noting that not all these games can be played on mobile devices. These devices, especially older ones, often have very poor OpenGL ES drivers, although the situation is improving..
Any reasonably modern CPU will be just fine, and any GPU that can handle OpenGL 2.0 should have no issues. You should make sure to install the latest graphics drivers available though. Windows XP or later is required, Windows 7 or 8 is recommended.
At least 1 GHz single-core with OpenGL 2.0 would be the minimum requirement to have any decent performance. A dual or quad-core processor is even more recommended. It may run on a 600 MHz core too, but don't even bother doing so as it would most likely run at slideshow frame rates on all but the simplest of games. Some titles namely Colin McRae Rally 2005 Plus and DiRT 2 require a stronger processor, and at least one, i.e. Test Drive Unlimited, is punishing even on the highest-end models.
PPSSPP works on jailbroken iPhones and iPads with Cydia installed, running iOS 6 up to 10.x. Note that the JIT does not currently function on 64-bit iOS builds It is however possible to install PPSSPP (or any iOS app for that matter) on a non-jailbroken device through Cydia Impactor, however.
All BlackBerry 10 devices will have adequate speed in all games. Only very high end games like Tekken 6 or Berserk will not be playable.
Second-generation devices (Nokia 603, 700, 701, 808) are the minimum requirement for decent performance in 3D games. However, first-generation devices (Nokia N8, C7, E7, E7, X7, ..) will be able to play all the 2D and Mini games.
Common problems and fixes:
- Weird text? Download the original fonts and place them into the /flash0/ folder. Disabling buffered rendering fixed the no text issue with FF4 for some. The forums say this will only fix it on Nvidia cards.
- DLC seems to work without any plugins, just place them in memstick\PSP\GAME.
- X doesn't work? Turn on/off Buffered Rendering or MipMapping and try again.
- Too slow? Turn on/off Hardware Transform and try again.
- Dangan Ronpa. Make sure you're using the latest dev build of PPSSPP and that Buffered Rendering, Read Framebuffers to Memory and FramebufferCPUConvert are enabled (FramebufferCPUConvert is only necessary on AMD I think, I don't need it on Intel/Nvidia and other Intel/Nvidia users seem to be the same).
- Having problems on libretro port? Try the standalone versions because the libretro port has not been updated in centuries.