|Latest version||1.5.0 [+] |
|Source code||GitLab (Closed) |
GitHub (Former source)
redream is a closed-source Sega Dreamcast emulator. It was formerly licensed under GPLv3, but then went closed-source in January 2018. There are two editions of redream: Lite and Premium. First one is free to everyone while second one is payware with added high-definition rendering. The emulator is one of the few if not the only Dreamcast emulator that can run without a BIOS; however, using a BIOS is highly recommended as some games may have bugs as the replacement BIOS is not currently perfect.
|Stable and Dev builds|
How to manually unlock Premium
Payware $5. See above.
Free to download, offers in-app purchases.
Operating system: Windows 7+ 64-bit, macOS 64-bit or Linux 64-bit
Processor: x86-64 compatible with SSE2 support (AVX2 recommended)
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 3.1 support (Order-independent transparency support is only available in OGL 4.3 or higher)
Android: Android 5.0+, OpenGL ES 3.1
On July 2018, inolen introduced a major change to redream's audio/video synchronization in version 1.2.3 by utilizing a feature called, in his words, "MultiSync". This helps to prevent audible crackling, unexpected latency in audio and skipped or torn frames in video output. The solution does involve some added code complexity and memory bandwidth to handle the extra bits.
"It also has a few more subtle benefits:
- Lower spec machines have more time to do actual emulation work as the main thread is never blocked by vsync.
- If the user has vsync force disabled in their control panel, emulation still runs at the correct speed since it's being driven by the audio sync."
- ↑ Statement from inolen. GitLab (2018-01-08)
- Official compatibility list
- Discord chat channel for redream
- Twitter news feed for redream