Wii U emulators
|Name||Operating System(s)||Latest Version||Compatibility||Active||Open-Source||Recommended|
- Cemu can launch and play most major commercial games (such as WW:HD/MK8/SM3DW/BOTW) with minor glitches (such as audio glitches in WW:HD) or major glitches (such as water, grass, and Magnesis/Stasis and Bokoblin eyes on AMD being broken in BOTW).
- Decaf is a research project for Wii U emulation. It is able to boot some commercial games.
You might have read about an unofficial branch of Dolphin with Wii U support — don't get your hopes up. While the PowerPC architecture family in the Wii U is the same as the Wii and GameCube (this fact alone was the reason why Wii emulation was added to Dolphin, originally GC-only), this support is nothing more than the file viewer features (region, internal name, various info, list of files and folders inside ISO and a way to extract them) being expanded to Wii U disc images. Nothing has been done on the actual emulation front as far as Dolphin is concerned, and the Dolphin developers have said that they're not going to add Wii U support to Dolphin.
Running games in Cemu
Before opening the ISO
You'll first need to fill in the "keys.txt" file in Cemu's directory. It has a sample line with a bogus key and a comment, which you may as well delete.
Your file must have many lines like this, one for the Wii U Common Key (D7B00402659BA2ABD2CB0DB27FA2B656), and one line for the Game Key of each game. Sharing these keys isn't exactly safe legally, but ROM sites at least share the Game ones. Note that for games using the Loadiine format, you won't need a Game Key at all, but those will need Cemu versions from 1.4.0 onward.
Your ISO must be either uncompressed, compressed using WUD format, or in Loadiine format (only possible for versions 1.4.0 onward) to boot in Cemu. Here's a compatibility list.
To install updates on Cemu (1.7.3+) play the game once and then open "log.txt" and find "TitleId of launched game" followed by a 16-digit number. Copy down the 16-digit number then go to "CEMUFOLDER/mlc01/usr/title" then create a folder with the first 8 digits of the 16-digit code, then inside of that create a folder with the last 8 digits. Then put in the files of the update into the folder, to apply DLC create a folder inside of the folder with your update and create a folder named "aoc" and put the DLC files into there and simply run the game.
- GamePad: GamePad touch control can be done simply via using the mouse. Pressing "Tab" will allow you to see the gamepad. Tilting is done by holding down right-click and moving your mouse.
- Classic Controller is fully emulated.
- As of 1.7.3d, the Wiimote isn't emulated yet.