|Developer(s)||recompileorg, David Richardson & FreeIntv community|
Raspberry Pi 3
FreeIntv is an open-source libretro emulation core for the Mattel Intellivision designed to be compatible with joypads from the SNES era forward even if they originally required a number pad.
|Latest libretro builds|
libretro builds only
:Mostly copy-pasted from main website:
FreeIntv is a libretro core Intellivision Emulator, intended for use with RetroPie on a Raspberry Pi 3. The primary goal was to allow one to play Astrosmash without needing to use a keyboard.
A few unique features allow easy play on a typical SNES or PlayStation style joypad.
The first is the "mini keypad" that allows you to view and press keys on a small keypad that appears in the lower-corner of the display while L or R is being held.
The "X" button is also mapped to the last selected keypad button, giving quick access. In Astrosmash, for example, you can leave "3" selected to enable instant access to hyperspace.
Finally, the select button lets you switch the left and right controllers. Some games expect the left controller to be player one, others expect the right controller. This isn't a problem if you have two controllers (and don't mind juggling them) but users with only one controller or using a portable setup would be effectively locked out of some games. Pressing select from either controller with swap the left controller for the right and vice-versa.
- Virtual Keypad
- Full 16-way movement
- A Pause Button!
- Pre-configured .int and .bin
- Support for intellicart ROM images
- Pre-compiled for RetroPie on Raspberry Pi 3
- Pre-compiled for Windows 10 (x64)
- Mini-Keypad - allows the user to view and select keys from a small Intellivision pad in the lower corner of the display.
- Controller Swap - Some Intellivision games expect the left controller to be player one, others expect the right controller. This isn't a problem if you have two controllers (and don't mind juggling them) but users with only one controller or using a portable setup would be effectively locked out of some games. Controller Swap swaps the two controller interfaces so that the player does not have to physically swap controllers.
|Left Analog Stick||16-way disc|
|A||Left Action Button|
|Y||Top Action Button|
|X||Use the Last Selected Intellivision Keypad Button.|
E.g., in Astrosmash, you can leave "3" selected to enable instant access to hyperspace.
|L/R||Activate the Mini-Keypad|
Mattel Intellivision games were often meant to be played with game-specific cards overlaid on the numeric keypad. These overlays convey information which can be very useful in gameplay. Instructional text files and images of a limited selection of Intellivision titles are available at: http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/instructions.shtml
FreeIntv does not currently support Entertainment Computer System (ECS) and Intellivoice functionality. Contributions to the code are welcome!
- Author recompile's guide to setting up FreeInt on a RetroPie (retropie.org.uk. Jan 5, 2018.)