|Developer(s)||Barry Harris, dinkc64, iq_132 & FBA community|
|Emulates||Multiple arcade systems|
FinalBurn Alpha (FB Alpha or FBA) is a source-available, multi-arcade emulator. It is currently inactive since most developers left the project. The active fork is FinalBurn Neo.
|pFBA: Portable FinalBurn Alpha|
Compiled by emucr
|Various FBA port (Include unofficial ports)|
|Other FBA versions|
|Older FBA versions|
Via Zophar's Domain
This source-available project is based on FinalBurn, created by Dave in 2000. It has been programmed by a team composed of Barry Harris (Old username: TrebleWinner), Jan_Klaassen, KEV, LoopMaster, Mike Haggar, Hyper Yagami and Ayeye.
FinalBurn was one of the first Capcom CPS2 emulators. When this project came to a halt in 2001, its sources were widely disseminated, allowing the development of many unofficial versions, of which FBA is the most successful.
Differentiated from other emulators by a very large number of supported systems, FB Alpha also offers a clear interface (simple like that of Kawaks) and excellent performance. The icing on the cake; it's not resource-intensive, and you don't need to indulge in complex settings to take it in hand immediately, although its menus are natively in English.
After the dissolution of the FBA team (Unknown in which year. Either started or ended in 2007.), the development of FinalBurn Alpha remained at a standstill, with only a few updated drivers. Nowadays, the emulator has experienced a strong revival of interest, having even been ported to Android in a version called "aFBA".
Thanks to the integration of Kaillera, you can even join the servers of the whole world!
Interesting note on the comparison between FBA and MAME - FBA is coded for speed, not accuracy, according to iq_132.
List of emulated systems
- Main article: [Wiki lists]
- Main article: [Arcade Otaku wiki]
- Main article: [FBA's website]
- Main article: [System16's arcade museum]
- Main article: [UVList's hardware database]
- Main article: [www.coinop.org's system charts]
- Capcom CPS1 (1988–1995)
- Capcom CPS2 (1993–2003)
- Capcom CPS3 (1996–1999)
- Cave (First generation: 1994–2001)
- Data East DEC-0 (1980–1985), DEC-8 (1986-1988) and DECO IC16 (1987-1990) based games
- Galaxian-based hardware (1979-1982)
- Irem M62 (1984-1986), M63 (1984-1985), M72 (1987-1990), M90 (1991), M92 (1991-1994) and M107 hardware (1993-1995)
- Kaneko 16 (Kaneko AX System. 1991-1995.)
- Neo Geo (MVS hardware: 1990–2004)
- NMK16 (Nihon Maicom Kaihatsu. 1989-2001)
- Pacman-based hardware (1980-1983)
- PGM (PolyGame Master. 1997–2005)
- Psikyo 68EC020 (1st Generation: 1993–1996) and SH-2 (1997–2002) based hardware
- Sega System 1 (1983–1987), System 16 (And similar. 1985–1994), System 18 (1989–1992), X-Board (1987–1990), Y-Board (1988–1991)
- Super Kaneko Nova System (1996–2002)
- Toaplan (Company: 1984-1994. V1 hardware: 1988-1991; V2: 1991-1999.)
- Taito F2 (1988-1993), X (1987-1992), Z (1987-1991) and others
- Miscellaneous drivers for lots of other hardware
- VCO Object/Sega Z80-3D system (Thread)
- Many of Atari's custom arcade game boards
- Incredible Technologies 32-bit hardware (Thread)
- And many more arcade board games by different publishers are being added almost every month.
- The original FBA team was Jan_Klaassen, LoopMaster, KEV, Mike_Haggar, TrebleWinner (Barry), Ayeye and HyperYagami.
- There have also been big contributions from iq_132, Captain CPS-X, JacKc, dink and OopsWare.
- Individual acknowledgments are also credited in the whatsnew.html file distributed with FB Alpha.
- The following are the original acknowledgments from the old readme.txt:
- "Thanks to: Dave, ElSemi, Gangta, OG, Razoola, Logiqx, TRAC, CrashTest, Andrea Mazzoleni, Derek Liauw Kie Fa, Dirk Stevens, Maxim Stepin, the MAME team, Shawn and Craig at XGaming."
- The current active team is Barry, KEV, iq_132 (First name: Dave. Probably the same guy who formed Final Burn, but it could be a different guy.), JackC and dink. The libretro core was forked on October 25, 2018, by barbudreadmon, a small-time contributor to the Yabause fork, "Kronos".
- ↑ The credits information was copied from the acknowledgments page in the official User Manual page's drop-down menu (See Resources sector) and later edited.
- French Wikipedia
- Full user guide (Extensive drop-down menu. Long learning curve.)
- FinalBurn Alpha Tutorial, on Planetemu (French. (archive).)
- What I've been working on (iq_132's work in progress) (Started August 04, 2008. Big thread.)
- Porting MAME drivers (vbt's work in progress) (Started October 16, 2011)
- dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread (Started March 28, 2014. Big thread.)
- Romhack's WIP thread (Started February 04, 2015)
- FBA Previews & Titles screenshots (fullset) + icons (Started December 02, 2015)
- Flyers collection (PNGs) (Started April 27, 2016)
- Barry Harris's Site
- Twitter (Not pretty)
- Forum for FBA development (Home forum page of lead programmer iq_132's. Other leading programmers also reside there.)
- YouTube channel (From lead programmer, "dinkc64", showcasing many game test cases running on FB Alpha)
- FB ALPHA V.0.2.97.42 - 25 GAMES TEST (EMURETRO. Jul 21, 2017.)
- FinalBurn Alpha - THE CREAM OF THE CROP OF ARCADE EMULATION (Frédéric Gechter, Friday, April 10, 2015. French article.)