|Fate||Merged with MAME in 2015 starting with 0.162|
|Emulates||Thousands of electronics|
MESS (an acronym for Multi Emulator Super System) was a multi-platform, open-source, multi-system emulator. The philosophy behind the project was to recreate the workings of machines like cash registers through emulation. MESS started as a fork of MAME, keeping its philosophy but expanding the amount of target machines widely. Though the teams are separate from each other, the codebase for MESS merged with MAME in 2015 though separate MESS builds can still be compiled from the source.
See NonMAME (2015 Mirror) for a regularly updated list of systems MESS emulates best and a list of emulators that emulate some systems.
- BIOS ROMs
- Extra files for frontend.
See these web-pages below for guidance on compatibility of a wide assortment of pastime computers and consoles and their respective games catalogue on MAME/MESS.
- MAME compatibility list
- Latest in-progress changelog
- www.progettoemma.net's Systems list (ProjectMESS' outdated list of computer & console systems & their overall emulation status in MAME/MESS)
- www.progettoemma.net's Software list (ProjectMESS' outdated list of computer & console systems & their emulation levels of all games in MAME/MESS)
- MESS user manual
- mess.ini Documentation for manually editing the MESS configuration file.
- Official MAME forum