Sega Model 2
|Type||Arcade system board|
|Predecessor||Sega Model 1|
|Successor||Sega Model 3|
The Sega Model 2 is an arcade system board first released in 1993 as a successor to the Sega Model 1 board. Sega Model 2 was the starting point of several popular arcade games and series such as Daytona USA, Dead Or Alive, Sega Rally, House of the Dead and Virtua Cop. It had an Intel i960-KB CPU at 25 MHz with 9776KB of RAM.
|Name||Platform(s)||Latest Version||Libretro Core||Active||Recommended|
|PC / x86|
|Model 2 Emulator||1.1a||✗||✗||✓|
- Model 2 Emulator (formerly Nebula Model 2)
- Has great compatibility. Most games work without problems, although some configuration may be required for the optimal experience in some titles. It is easy to use and the system requirements are moderate. There is support for increasing the internal resolution, force feedback and GPU hardware acceleration. For a long time it was, and still is for most titles, the only way to play Model 2 games. However; it is Windows only, closed-source and hasn't been updated since 2014.
- An user, Nuexzz from Argentina, who made the new 2019-edition and open-source Sega Model 3 UI for Supermodel. has also earlier created a similarly styled Sega Model 2 UI for Model 2 Emulator.
- is a long way behind Model 2 Emulator in terms of compatibility, but is being actively developed and Model 2 emulation improved greatly in 2018. With version 0.196, the first two games were promoted to working status; Virtua Fighter 2 and Motor Raid. Version 0.197 followed up with adding Rail Chase 2. Other games might work but most have lots of graphical glitches and some will outright crash. You'll need a fast CPU for full speed emulation.
- See MAME driver at GitHub (Also note the large to-do lists at top of page).
|Game||Model 2 Emulator||MAME||PSN/XBLA*||Ports**|
|Behind Enemy Lines||✓||✗||✗||✗|
|Cyber Troopers Virtual-On||✓||✗||✓||✓|
|Dead or Alive||✓||✗||✗||✓|
|Dynamite Baseball 97||✓||✗||✗||✗|
|Manx TT Superbike||✓||✗||✗||✓|
|Rail Chase 2||✓||✓||✗||✗|
|Sega Rally Championship||✓||✗||✗||✓|
|Sega Ski Super G||✓||✗||✗||✗|
|Sega Touring Car Championship||✓||✗||✗||✓|
|Sega Water Ski||✓||✗||✗||✗|
|Sonic the Fighters||✓||✗||✓||✓|
|Super GT 24H||✓||✗||✗||✓|
|The House of the Dead||✓||✗||✗||✓|
|Virtua Cop 2||✓||✗||✗||✓|
|Virtua Fighter 2||✓||~||✓||✓|
This list is updated as of MAME 0.217 and Model 2 Emulator 1.1a.
* PSN/XBLA: Some games were released for PS3 PSN and Xbox 360 XBLA labeled as the "Sega Model 2 Collection". It is a way to buy the games as single purchases on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One (backward compatibility). The games feature excellent improvements over the arcade originals such as higher resolution, widescreen, HD textures, fewer pop-ups, online multiplayer, trophies, etc. Some of these are playable in the RPCS3 emulator.
** Ports: Some games were ported to consoles available when the arcade games where released. Most of them were released on Sega Saturn och PC, with a few appearing on Dreamcast and PlayStation 2. These ports are often a lot worse than the arcade orginals.
- Sega Retro
- System-16 (Games & technical specs for several Model 2 versions)
- Graphics comparison table (for Saturn as opposed to PS1, N64, Sega Model 2 arcade hardware and 1995-era PC)
- Sega Model 2 Arcade Games A to Z (Dubbloseven. Published on Nov 23, 2016.)
- 66 GAMES - MODEL 2 1.1a EMULATOR TEST (EMURETRO. Published on Apr 7, 2017.)
- Best SEGA MODEL 2 Collection - Arcade Games (TheRadik. Published on Apr 26, 2018. Model 2 emulator.)