History of emulation
This page contain information of emulation history.
The early history of NES emulation is vague, but there are some early emulators known to public.
- Family Computer Emulator V0.35 for FM Towns, by "Haruhisa Udagawa", with file timestamps of December 12, 1990.
- Pasofami for the FM Towns, with a release date of May 1, 1993 in its info file. Windows version was released on 1996.
- LandyNES by Alex Krasivsky, which seems became the base of iNES emulator. At least one beta version was released to the public, but discontinued after the release of NESticle. No release date known but likely mid to late 1990s.
- Marat Fayzullin's iNES (also known as interNES in early versions) is the first (or at least one of the first) emulator to use NES header format (also known as iNES format). The release date of first version is 1996 according to its site.
- NESticle (first version known as v0.2) was released on April 3, 1997. It was one of the first freeware NES emulators.
- First Famicom/NES emulator? - Zophar's Domain
- Anyone remember the first NES emulator? - nesdev.com
- NES Emulation History - nesdev.com
- Old NES WORLD archive pages
- Page 1 - Unknown Year, but probably in 1996. Has information of Pasofami and interNES.
- Page 2 - Sometime around May 1996. Does not have much info of emulators (only lists variants of "Famicom (NES) emulator" which is likely Pasofami) instead forces on game screenshots taken from early NES emulators.
- Page 3 - Sometime around May 1997. Has information of various early NES emulators such as NESticle.
Just like NES, the SNES emulation history is quite fuzzy, but there are evidences that SNES emulators existed as early as 1994.
- VSMC was released in 1994 and could run select few Homebrew roms. (Video)
- ESNES was one of the first SNES emulator that could emulate sound. It later merged with NLKSNES to become NLKE.
- NLKSNES was one of the fastest SNES emulators, though it lacked sound emulation. It later merged with NLKSNES to become NLKE.
- NLKE is successor of ESNES and NLKSNES and contained both speed and sound.
- Old news archive - Zophar's Domain