Atari Jaguar emulators
|Type||Home video game console|
The Atari Jaguar (AJ) was a fifth generation home video game console produced by Atari on November 23, 1993 and sold for $249.99. It had a Motorola 68000 CPU and 2 custom RISC CPUs. It has 2MB of RAM. Despite the intense marketing efforts by Atari, the Jaguar is, in fact, a 32-bit console rather than 64-bit, as a whole; only one part of its two CPUs were 64-bit. The console would prove to be the final home console release for Atari, before releasing plug-and-play versions of their older games. There was also a CD addon called the Atari Jaguar CD (AJ-CD).
|Name||Operating System(s)||Latest version||AJ-CD||Libretro Core||Active||Recommended|
|Phoenix||Windows, Linux, macOS||2.8.JAG||✗||✗||✓||✓|
|Virtual Jaguar||Windows, Linux, macOS||2.1.3
- Only available on mobile as a libretro core.
- A newer closed-source emulator. More compatible than Virtual Jaguar. About 95% of Jaguar titles are compatible (full list available on website). No support for CD games yet. The PC version of the emulator is currently only available in Russian, but an English patch is available.
- Virtual Jaguar
- An open-source emulator based on the original by the same name. It has excellent accuracy and performance but behind Phoenix. Use the link given as "git" on this page and choose the most current version from there.
- Preliminary support. Some games boot but the emulation is far from perfect.
- Project Tempest
- Was the first ever working Atari Jaguar emulator. It emulates some games, but most have issues. As its name suggests it was primarily made for Tempest 2000, with other games as secondary goals. Project Tempest is the first and only(?) Jaguar emulator that supports Jaguar CD games, but only two are compatible; Primal Rage and Baldies (the latter has sound distortion though). It has not been updated since 2004.
- The Phoenix emulation project is released as separate emulators for Android, this is the Jaguar version. Identical compatibility to PC version according to the author. Requires fast 64-bit CPU 2GHz+ or better for full speed.